An infant was found dead Monday inside a vacant Markham home by firefighters after they battled a blaze, officials said.
An autopsy to determine the baby’s age, gender and possible cause of death was to be performed Tuesday afternoon, according to a spokeswoman from the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office.
Ron Dunbar, who live across the street from the house that caught fire in the 15500 block of South Hamlin Avenue, said he was awakened by fire engine sirens about 6:15 a.m. Monday.
“I looked out my window and the whole place was just billowing with smoke,” he said.
Dunbar said he didn’t see any flames and most of the smoke appeared to be coming out of the attic of the one-story house.
“We all look out for one another,” said Dunbar about his neighbors. “I’m kind of angry. I wonder how long the baby was (there). That just disgusts me.”
Neighbor Dianne Stahl said the owner of the house had moved into an assisted living facility about a year ago and that members of his family were living there until about eight months ago.
She said that although it was vacant at the time of the fire it had new windows, new siding and was listed for sale.
Markham police or fire officials could not be reached for comment.
Frank Vaisvilas is a freelance reporter for the Daily Southtown.